What are eBooks?
eBooks are books that are available in digital format. eBooks are not meant to replace paper books. Instead, eBooks provide an alternate reading choice for lovers of technology. eBooks offer a new dimension to the written word, allowing books to be distributed and enjoyed much more easily. eBooks are ordered online and downloaded to your computer or mobile device.
eBooks have many features that traditional paper books do not:
- Search through the text for a specific word or phrase.
- Carry many eBooks with you on your mobile device.
- Shrink or enlarge the text size.
- Add digital bookmarks and annotations.
- Get instant delivery.
- Help the environment by reducing paper use and shipping costs.
eBook Formats and Software
ePub eBooks have the file extension .epub and are an excellent choice for use on a large variety of eReader devices. ePub is designed for reflowable content, which means that the text of the eBook can rearrange itself to fit the screen size of the device being used. This makes it the best choice for devices with small screens, such as those on smartphones. ePub is the current open-source eBook format that is standardized by the International Digital Publishing Forum (IDPF).
PDF is one of the most widely used eBook formats. These eBooks are .pdf files, and can be used on most eReaders and mobile devices. PDF eBooks display best on larger screens like your computer screen or a tablet device such as an iPad or Android tablet. PDF files are capable of bookmarks, highlighting, search, and printing (if allowed by the book publisher).
The majority of book publishers require DRM (digital rights management) on their eBook downloads. This is software security that helps protect the publisher or author's copyright. The DRM is provided by Adobe. At eBookMall, the eBooks that have DRM are marked as either "ePub (Adobe DRM)" or "PDF (Adobe DRM)".
These eBooks must be downloaded to your computer with an authorized copy of Adobe Digital Editions. Our Adobe Digital Editions page explains this in detail with step-by-step instructions.
Aldiko Book Reader
Aldiko Book Reader is a free app that can be used to read eBooks on your Android smartphone or tablet. It works with all eBook formats at eBookMall, including those with Adobe DRM. If the eBook has Adobe DRM, you must first download it to your computer with Adobe Digital Editions, and then transfer to your device through iTunes. Our Aldiko Book Reader page has more details and instructions.
Readmill has created a community of readers and allows you to use your iPad to share passages with friends, track your reading progress, and recommend books. eBookMall is proud to be one of Readmill's partners, and now offers the ability to wirelessly send your eBookMall eBooks to your iPad with the Readmill app.
eBooks can be read on a wide range of devices. You can find eBooks at eBookMall for your dedicated eReader, such as the Sony Reader, Nook, BeBook, and many others. You can also get eBooks for Apple iOS devices (iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch), as well as Android-powered mobile phones and tablets. Your desktop or laptop computer is also a great eReading device.
Take a look at our list of supported devices to see whether your device is included. There are many new devices being released all the time, so this list is probably not comprehensive. If your device is not shown, please contact us and we'll research your device to find out whether it is supported.
Top 10 eBooks eBookMall.com
- The Blood Sugar Solution 10-Day Detox Diet: Activate Your Body's Natural Ability to Burn Fat and Lose Weight Fast
- Success Through Stillness: Meditation Made Simple
- The Ultimate Food Allergy Cookbook and Survival Guide: How to Cook with Ease for Food Allergies and Recover Good Health
- How Music REALLY Works!: The Essential Handbook for Songwriters, Performers, and Music Students
- Juliana Jewelry Reference, DeLizza & Elster
- The Fast Metabolism Diet: Eat More Food and Lose More Weight
- Anabolic Steroids and Making Them
- The Low Dose Immunotherapy Handbook: Recipes and Lifestyle Advice for Patients on LDA and EPD Treatment
- Automatic Poker: A Short Stacker's Guide To Winning Poker
- Treatment of Error in Second Language Student Writing, Second Edition