Art: History - General eBooks
Art history is the academic study of objects of art in their historical development and stylistic contexts, i.e. genre, design, format, and style. This includes the "major" arts of painting, sculpture, and architecture as well as the "minor" arts of ceramics, furniture, and other decorative objects.
As a term, art history encompasses several methods of studying the visual arts; in common usage referring to works of art and architecture. Aspects of the discipline overlap. As the art historian Ernst Gombrich once observed, "the field of art history [is] much like Caesar's Gaul, divided in three parts inhabited by three different, though not necessarily hostile tribes: (i) the connoisseurs, (ii) the critics, and (iii) the academic art historians".
Use our eBook search to find a specific book or author.
Top 10 Art
- Ajanta Paintings: 86 Panels of Jatakas and Other Themes
- Design Elements, 2nd Edition: Understanding the rules and knowing when to break them - Updated and Expanded
- Creative Perspective for Artists and Illustrators
- Indie Rock Poster Book
- Paths Toward Utopia: Graphic Explorations of Everyday Anarchism
- The Secret Lives of Objects
- Deleuze and Film Music: Building a Methodological Bridge between Film Theory and Music
- The Art Spirit
- Environmental Imagination
- The Painter's Secret Geometry: A Study of Composition in Art