The proven formula for mastering chemistry
Fully updated with all-new quizzes and test questions and a completely refreshed interior design Chemistry DeMYSTiFieD, Second Edition provides an new, intuitive arrangement of topics. The book adds new material that is now part of introductory chemistry curricula and national subject tests such as ACT, SAT, and AP Chemistry. New chapter quizzes, final exam, and glossary, as well as a Periodic Table of Elements, are included.
Clear and conversational writing presents science on an accessible level to students and adults alike. The book’s content and educational features offer a sound chemistry foundation from which to pursue further scientific education in chemistry and related fields such as biochemistry, environmental science, and thermodynamics.
Chemistry DeMYSTiFieD, Second Edition features:
- Brand new chapters on thermodynamics, biochemistry, and an expanded section on electrochemicals
- Revised presentation order of topics follows the most current curriculum for chemistry classes and associated ACT/SAT/AP exams
- Periodic Table of Elements
- Glossary with all critical terms defined and explained in context of book.
- Chapter-opening objectives offering insight into what you’re going to learn in each step
- Questions at the end of every chapter to reinforce learning and pinpoint weaknesses
- “Still Struggling?” icon providing specific recommendations for those having difficulty with certain subtopics
- A final exam for overall self-assessment
- “Curriculum Tree” that shows how the topic covered in the book fits into a larger curriculum
Hard stuff made easy!
Chemistry; Pure and Applied; Scientific Method; Measurements; Precision vs. Accuracy; Conversion Factors; Atomic Theory; Beginnings of Atomic Theory; Parts of Atomic Structure; The Bohr Model; Chemical Compounds; Elements, Symbols, and The Periodic Table; Properties; Symbols; Chemical Nomenclature; Atomic Number & Weight; Classes of Elements; Solids & Liquids; Types of Solids; Crystalline Structure; Surfactants; Precipitation Reactions; Gases and the Gas Laws; Empirical Gas Laws; Ideal Gas Law; Dalton’s Law of Partial Pressures; Gay-Lussac’s Law; Kinetic Theory; Molarity and Concentration; Types of Solutions; Electron Configuration & Energy Levels; Chemical Bonds; Electron Energy Levels; Quantum Numbers; Orbitals; Affinity; Spin Magnetism; Subshells; Ionization Energy; Acids and Bases; Arrhenius Theory; Brönsted-Lowry Theory; Types of Acid-Base Reactions; pH Scale; Precipitation Reactions; Ionization of Water; Neutralization; Buffers; Hydrolysis; Ions and Bonding; Naming Ionic Compounds; Lewis Electron-Dot Structures; Ionic Bonds; Covalent Bonds and Bond Polarity; Molecular Geometry; Molecular Orbital Theory; Electrochemistry; What is Oxidation/Reduction?; Thermodynamics; What is Standard State? Equilibrium; Enthalpy; Heats of Reaction, Vaporization and Fusion; Entropy; Reactivity; Catalysts; Organic Chemistry; Alkanes, Alkenes, and Alkynes; Carbon; Structural Isomers; Ring Structures; Substitution Reactions; Biochemistry; Hydrocarbons; Carboxylic Acids; Phenols; Amines; Amides; Proteins; Environment; Nuclear Chemistry; Radioactivity; Isotopes; Nuclear Reactions and Balance; Rate of Radioactive Decay; Gamma and Positron Emissions; Electron Capture and Energy Shift; Nuclear Bombardment; Radiation – Detection and Biological Effects; Nuclear medicine