Amid the backdrop of World War II, race riots, and police corruption, a white police officer in Phoenix, Arizona, guns down an on-duty, black cop from his same department.
The community's residents pick sides, and while the second trial ends in an acquittal, the battle isn't over. The detective, "Frenchy" Navarre, returns to duty but is shot dead when he encounters Officer Joe Davis, the slain officer's partner.
This is just one of the fascinating tales told by Gordon A. Hunsaker, who also recalls:
This compilation of musings, observations, and police lore is insightful, thought- provoking and, at times, just darn spooky. Any Arizona resident, law enforcement officer or lover of history will be thrilled to enter the exciting world of Gunfights & Gunfighters.
- Surviving his youth on the streets of Los Angeles
- Fighting in the jungles of Southeast Asia during the Vietnam War
- A series of stories that cops normally only tell each other
- Piloting helicopters and airplanes while on the job
- Battling his toughest opponent - cancer
- And much more!