Get the in-depth technical details you need to support TCP/IP on the Windows® Server 2003 platform with this comprehensive technical guide. Combining concepts with packet examples, it steps layer by layer through the TCP/IP protocols and services that Windows Server 2003 supports to help you understand how they work and how they’re implemented in the operating system.
With the latest information about:
- Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP)
- Remote Authentication Dial-In User Service (RADIUS)
- Internet Protocol Security (IPSec)
- Virtual private networks (VPNs)
- A must-have for any technical professional who works with Windows Server 2003 and TCP/IP
Includes details about these protocols and services:
- Network interface layer protocols: Local area network (LAN) and wide area network (WAN) encapsulations, Address Resolution Protocol (ARP), and PPP
- Internet layer protocols: Internet Protocol (IP) basics, addressing, and routing; Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP); Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP); and an overview of Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6)
- Transport layer protocols: User Datagram Protocol (UDP), Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) basics, TCP connections, TCP data flow, and TCP retransmission, and time-out
- Application layer protocols and services: Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP), Domain Name System (DNS), Windows Internet Name Service (WINS), file and printer sharing, RADIUS and Internet Authentication Service (IAS), Microsoft® Internet Information Services (IIS) and the Internet protocols, IPSec, and VPNs.Winner of a Merit Award at the Puget Sound Chapter of the Society for Technical Communication (STC), January 2004).
A Note Regarding the CD or DVD
The print version of this book ships with a CD or DVD. For those customers purchasing one of the digital formats in which this book is available, we are pleased to offer the CD/DVD content as a free download via O'Reilly Media's Digital Distribution services. To download this content, please visit O'Reilly's web site, search for the title of this book to find its catalog page, and click on the link below the cover image (Examples, Companion Content, or Practice Files). Note that while we provide as much of the media content as we are able via free download, we are sometimes limited by licensing restrictions. Please direct any questions or concerns to email@example.com.