"Doug Swenson has created a book about Yoga that captures his delightful and unique teaching style."
—Karen Allen, actress, Yoga Practitioner
"Doug Swenson masterfully presents one of the most physically challenging styles of Hatha Yoga in a way students of any level will find safe, fun, easeful, and empowering."
—John Friend, founder of Anusara Yoga
In just a few years, Yoga has gone from an obscure spiritual discipline practiced by a handful of the "enlightened" in the Far East, to a mainstream exercise routine taught at gyms all across America. Now, at the turn of the new millennium, Yoga has a younger sibling, Power Yoga. A high-energy physical discipline embraced by Sting, Madonna, and thousands of other celebrities, professional athletes, and health advocates, Power Yoga takes the basics of Yoga and gives it a good healthy dose of aerobics to tone all your muscles, sharpen your focus, ease your spirit, and strengthen your heart.
Want to pump up your body and gain peace of mind? Power Yoga For Dummies shows you how. Featuring step-by-step instructions, illustrated with photographs that help you see each move clearly, it shows you how to:
- Improve flexibility, strength, and endurance
- Develop rock-hard abs, legs, and arms
- Find an instructor and the right workout gear
- Customize workouts for all ages and fitness levels
- Enhance your practice with a partner
- Beat stress, sharpen your focus, and lift your spirits
Power Yoga celebrity Doug Swenson explains the philosophy and science behind Power Yoga. He gets you ready to take the leap into Power Yoga, and he arms you with:
- Three complete Power Yoga routines—beginning, intermediate and advanced
- Exercises to improve specific areas, including flexibility, strength, endurance, and specific muscle groups such as your arms, abs, and glutes
- Expert tips on diet and nutrition for enhancing your practice and improving your overall health
- Specific postures and exercises that benefit women and seniors
A fun and easy guide for both beginners and experienced practitioners alike, this inspirational guide will help you unit a strong, sleek body with a sharp, clear mind.