"[This] book provides a practical hands-on perspective for implementing function focused care in all settings [It] is a unique resource that is relevant for all nurses and health care providers working with older adults. In addition to addressing functional decline, function-focused care provides a fresh and practical solution to many of the problems that tend to arise with older adults such as infections, falls, and pressure ulcers all known to be associated with immobility."
International Council on Active Aging
(From the Foreword)
The purpose of restorative care nursing (often referred to as function-focused care) is to take an active role in helping older adults maintain their highest level of function, thereby preventing excess disability. This is the only volume to educate caregivers about both the philosophy of restorative care and how to integrate it into all care settings for older adults. Now in its second edition, the text contains updated content in each chapter along with two entirely new chapters on function-focused care for cognitively impaired adults, ethical issues, and patient-centered care.
The book provides a complete six-week education program in restorative care for nurses and other caregivers, numerous practical suggestions for beneficial activities that will enhance function, and strategies for motivating both older adults and caregivers to engage in restorative care. Woven throughout the text is research that documents the benefits and expected outcomes of restorative care. The book also includes the requirements for restorative care across all settings, and the necessary documentation. Restorative Care Nursing for Older Adults will help formal and informal caregivers and administrators at all levels assimilate the philosophy of restorative care and be able to develop and implement successful restorative care programs. This New Edition Features:
- Completely updated information, including two new chapters on function-focused care for cognitively impaired adults, ethical issues, and patient-centered care
- A six-week education program that teaches practical application of restorative care nursing
- Helpful suggestions and strategies for motivating older adults and caregivers
- Education materials designed for nursing home, assisted living, and acute care settings, including required documentation and goal-setting forms
- Educational materials for family caregivers