Saving Women's Hearts: How You Can Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease With Natural and Conventional Strategies
Publication date: February 2011
Digital Book format: ePub (Adobe DRM)
Mention the term "heart disease" and most people picture an overweight, middle-aged man. Yet the reality is that heart disease is the number one killer of women in North America, accounting for a third of all deaths in women and far surpassing the prevalence of breast cancer.
Cardiologist Dr. Martha Gulati and holistic pharmacist Sherry Torkos separate the facts from the many myths surrounding heart disease and offer the latest information on both the conventional medical approach and the role of natural medicine in understanding this illness. Saving Women's Hearts examines the unique gender differences for women and provides valuable insight into the screening procedures, diagnosis, treatment options, and most importantly, prevention of heart disease. Written by the leading experts in this field, this practical guide covers:
- How the heart works and the various types of heart disease
- Why heart disease is different and unique for women
- The known and emerging risk factors for heart disease
- What you need to know about tests and screening procedures
- Medications - the good, the bad, the ugly, the noteworthy
- Nature's Pharmacy - the role of vitamins and other supplements
- Nutritional strategies for better heart health
- The latest exercise guidelines for women
- The impact of stress and practical tips on managing stress
- The role of sleep and heart health
And much more...