The Root of Thought: Unlocking Glia-The Brain Cell That Will Help Us Sharpen Our Wits, Heal Injury, and Treat Brain Disease PDF (Adobe DRM) download by Andrew Koob

The Root of Thought: Unlocking Glia-The Brain Cell That Will Help Us Sharpen Our Wits, Heal Injury, and Treat Brain Disease

FT Press
Publication date: May 2009
ISBN: 9780138006266
Digital Book format: PDF (Adobe DRM)

Buy PDF

List price:
$19.99
Our price:
$15.99

You save: $4.00 (20%)
GET THIS EBOOK
FOR FREE!
Join our Facebook sweepstake, share and
get 10 likes. Winners
get notified in 24H!
This is the eBook version of the printed book. If the print book includes a CD-ROM, this content is not included within the eBook version.If you know anything about human brains, you know about neurons - the cells that have long been seen as central to virtually everything your brain thinks, feels, and does. But neurons represent only 10% of your brain cells: the other 90% are glial cells. Until recently, neuroscientists thought glial cells did little more than hold your brain together. But in the past few years, they've discovered that glial cells are extraordinarily important. In fact, they may hold the key to understanding intelligence, treating psychiatric disorders and brain injuries and perhaps even curing fatal conditions like Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, and Lou Gehrig's Disease. In The Root of Thought, leading neuroscientist Dr. Andrew Koob reveals what we've learned about these remarkable cells, from their unexpected role in information storage to their function as adult stem cells that can keep your brain growing and adapting longer than scientists ever imagined possible. Ranging from fruit flies to Einstein, Koob reveals the surprising correlation between intelligence and the brain's percentage of glia cells - and why these cells' unique wavelike communications may be especially conducive to the fluid information processing human beings depend upon. You'll learn how crucial glia cells grow and develop... why almost all brain tumors are comprised of glia cells' and the potential implications for treatment... even the apparent role of glia cells in your every thought and dream!
Please sign in to review this product.
Format:
Devices:
The Root of Thought: Unlocking Glia-The Brain Cell That Will Help Us Sharpen Our Wits, Heal Injury, and Treat Brain Disease PDF (Adobe DRM) can be read on any device that can open PDF (Adobe DRM) files.

File Size:
1942 Kb
Language:
ENG
Copy From Text:
Enabled. Limit of 30 selections within 30 days.
Printing:
Enabled. Limit of 30 pages within 30 days.
The Root of Thought: Unlocking Glia-The Brain Cell That Will Help Us Sharpen Our Wits, Heal Injury, and Treat Brain Disease PDF (Adobe DRM) download by Andrew Koob
List Price: $19.99 eBook price: $15.99
Root of Thought, The: Unlocking Glia-the Brain Cell That Will Help Us Sharpen Our Wits, Heal Injury, and Treat Brain Disease ePub (Adobe DRM) download by Andrew Koob
List Price: $19.99 eBook price: $18.99
Other books by Andrew Koob
Neuroscience: What You Need to Know (Collection) ePub (Adobe DRM) download by Koob Andrew
Neuroscience: What You Need to Know (Collection)
Koob Andrew & Miriam Boleyn-Fitzgerald & Dale Purves;Miriam Boleyn-Fitzgerald;Koo & Purves Dale & Andrew Koob & Boleyn-Fitzgerald Miriam & Dale Purves
FT Press, February 2012
ISBN: 9780133039658
Format: ePub, PDF
List Price: $74.99 Our price: $65.99