Dive into ØMQ (aka ZeroMQ), the smart socket library that gives you fast, easy, message-based concurrency for your applications. With this quick-paced guide, you’ll learn hands-on how to use this scalable, lightweight, and highly flexible networking tool for exchanging messages among clusters, the cloud, and other multi-system environments.
ØMQ maintainer Pieter Hintjens takes you on a tour of real-world applications, using extended examples in C to help you work with ØMQ’s API, sockets, and patterns. Learn how to use specific ØMQ programming techniques, build multithreaded applications, and create your own messaging architectures. You’ll discover how ØMQ works with several programming languages and most operating systems—with little or no cost.
- Learn ØMQ’s main patterns: request-reply, publish-subscribe, and pipeline
- Work with ØMQ sockets and patterns by building several small applications
- Explore advanced uses of ØMQ’s request-reply pattern through working examples
- Build reliable request-reply patterns that keep working when code or hardware fails
- Extend ØMQ’s core pub-sub patterns for performance, reliability, state distribution, and monitoring
- Learn techniques for building a distributed architecture with ØMQ
- Discover what’s required to build a general-purpose framework for distributed applications