Black Books Galore! Guide to Great African American Children's Books about Boys
John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Publication date: March 2002
Digital Book format: PDF (Adobe DRM)
A Treasury of Hundreds of Books that Help Boys Grow and Flourish
"Images-strong, proud and happy, brave, and now also humorous . . . what a joy it is to see black faces of all shades in our children's books."-Doug E. Doug, Actor, The Bill Cosby Show
"As a child . . . I wish there had been more books that reflected my world and my interests."-Earl G. Graves, Chairman, Publisher, and CEO, Black Enterprise magazine
How do you know which books are the best for boys at every age? Now, two of the mothers who founded the esteemed Black Books Galore!-the nation's leading organizer of African American children's book festivals-and the authors of the highly acclaimed Black Books Galore! Guide to Great African American Children's Books, share their expert advice. Let BBG! help you open the door to a wonderful world of reading for the boys in your life.
Invaluable for parents, teachers, and librarians, this easy-to-use, delightfully illustrated reference guide features:
* Quick, lively descriptions of over 350 books
* Hundreds of young black heroes and positive role models
* Reflections from kids, famous authors, illustrators, and public figures about their favorite childhood books
* Easy-to-find listings organized by age level and indexed by title, topic, author, and illustrator
* Recommended reading for parents of boys
"This is a great resource that fills a tremendous need. It should be on parents' shelves at home as well as in every school."-Alvin F. Poussaint, M.D., Harvard Medical School, on Black Books Galore! Guide to Great African American Children's Books